Also available as a downloadable file or in paragraph form.
- I care about code being simple, and I care about quality.
- I want the UX to be carefully designed, beautiful, and maintainable.
- I am passionate about learning, and about making useful things.
Web Developer at From Now On (Omaha, NE): September 2016-Current
- I just started!
Software Engineer at eDataSource (New York, NY): May 2012-September 2016
- Designed custom document parsing software to pull out and aggregate data from third-party emails.
- Regularly work with MySQL database tables containing millions of rows, writing efficient queries to QA the data and to generate custom reports for clients.
- Have written many large pieces for several websites, both business applications and user facing, primarily with AngularJS and Bootstrap.
- Personally responsible for two major upgrades of third-party
2.2 => 3.3, and AngularJS
1.1 => 1.3).
- Designed the layout and full UI for a new website section which helps clients test email campaigns prior to sending them to users.
- With a team of 2-4, redesigned the website and server for Boxbe, a site serving over a million active users, and visited by thousands of unique visitors per day.
- Implemented and wrote code for client and server side of OAuth flow for Google, Yahoo, and Microsoft/Outlook, along with a careful test suite.
- With a team of 3-6, designed a new website section using several graphs and difficult queries, which helps our clients compare email delivery parameters for several brands (e.g. Walmart vs Best Buy).
Prior to Software
Engineering Intern at Omaha Public Power District, Nuclear Facility (Fort Calhoun, NE): May 2011-December 2011
- Assisted engineers with sketches and drafts through engineering/drafting process.
- Maintained flood mitigation equipment during major flooding event.
Repair/Refurbishing Technician at Linweld Inc. (Waverly, NE 68507): May 2008-October 2008
- Repaired and refurbished welding and medical gas cylinders.
- Performed quality control inspections during stages of repair.
- Routinely installed and tested gas delivery fittings.
Management/Maintenance at Maranatha Bible Camp (Maxwell, NE 69151): August 2006-August 2007
- Managed and staffed a large Conference Center.
- Maintained and repaired kitchen and conference center equipment.
- Operated within a constrained budget, decreasing spending by 200%.
Chef and Kitchen Manager at Maranatha Bible Camp (Maxwell, NE 69151): August 2005-August 2006
- Managed over a dozen staff.
- Assisted in customer side public relations.
- Designed operational budget which cut costs significantly.
- hex2words: Given a hexadecimal value, it returns a list of PGP Words. This is a list of words two users can read to verify they have identical signatures, for example.
- json-schema-to-markdown: Turn a JSON schema (a JSON object used to validate other JSON objects) into a human-readable markdown file. It makes writing documentation a lot easier.
- pipe-transform-cli: A command line utility I wrote that lets you stream in one encoding and stream out another encoding. For example, hex in and base64 out.
- Experience with the popular operating systems: Ubuntu, Windows, Mac, and Linux in general. Also familiar in passing with Docker, and would love reasons to dive deeper.
- Publishing small, reusable code, so that long-term maintenance is easier.
- Familiar with modeling software such as AutoCAD, Autodesk, SolidWorks, progeCAD, etc.
- Experienced audio technician, and reasonable with general electronics repair.
- Was part of the University Mini Baja group, researching viability of a hydrostatic transmission design.
- Vehicle repair technician, engine rebuilds.
- Enjoys a good cigar and a glass of scotch on occasion.
While working at eDataSource, I've built things using:
- Client Related: AngularJS, Riot.js, Highcharts, Browserify, Bootstrap, Babel (ES6 to ES5 mostly), PreCSS, PostCSS, LESS, JS, HTML, CSS, XML, Socket.io, Moment.js, jQuery, ACE (web code editor).
- Server Related: Java 1.6-1.8, Amazon Web Services (AWS, including EC2, S3, SQS, SNS), Google Guava, GSON/JSON, MySQL, HyperSQL, Redis, MongoDB (only in passing) JDBC, JAX-RS, Jetty, Jersey, Maven, Joda (date library), Log4J/SLF4J, OAuth, YAML, JMock, Spring Framework, Atmosphere (Java websocket implementation), Swagger.io, PhantomJS.
- Development Tools: IntelliJ, Eclipse, JRebel, bash, Node.js, npm, LiveReload, browserify, ES6 and ES5, minify/uglify for JS, Mustache (template language), Tape (test framework), BrowserStack, Markdown to HTML transforms, Git, Github, Bash, Ruby, Homebrew.
Personally created tools and products using many of the same things, and in addition:
Ractive.js, Express, Ecstatic, Sublime Text, SQLite, PHP, JSON Schema, spent time learning basic cryptography (AES, RSA, SHA, SHA-2, PGP/GPG), contributed to ngbp (AngularJS boilerplate), Noddity, and recently PhantomJS. Comfortable in most operating Systems: Windows, Mac, Ubuntu, Debian.